March 14, 2008

Occasionally Music: Scary Movie Edition

Pomeroy just posted a trailer to the movie The Strangers.  This is the type of movie that scares my wife to death and makes me think about what everyday implements around the house I could turn into weapons to fend off an axe wielding maniac with a scary white face.  I would wager that this is a fairly common line of thought for married men-how do you defend the castle if need be.  There are of course your kitchen knives, we have a particularly nice Wusthoff chef's knife (great balance!) that could do some damage, but I don't really want to have to engage in any close hand-to-hand combat - not much margin of error there.  You've got your blunt instruments - your Mac Light, your lamps, your chair/table legs, but my go to crazy guy with an axe home defense choice is, oddly enough, an old axe handle I keep under the bed and have dragged around with me ever since I got married.  Because, frankly, my wife scares me.

Anywho, on to the music.  In the aforementioned clip, at about the 1:30 mark the record player skips down to a song and gets stuck playing the same 3-4 second sample over and over in the background (by the way if you stop it at about the 1:27 mark that is a pretty scary face on in its own right).  The song is My First Lover by Gillian Welch, off her Time (The Revelator) album, and the line that keeps repeating occurs twice in the song - once in the middle and then the ending lines, where she sings, "quicksilver girl."  Which is a reference to the Steve Miller song by the same name, which in Gillian's song is playing in the background of her first lover's tryst.  So this is a post about a song playing in the background that is itself partially about a song playing in the background.

Here's a video of a live performance with pretty poor audio:



Here is a better live audio version you can download, from the show mentioned before.

No comments:

Blog Archive